Welcome to Holy Rosary
Colorful stained glass windows, 27 statues and the richness of marble altars and memorial plaques place you in a spiritual
The parish was founded in 1891 when the neighborhood was solidly Italian. The Missionary goal of the Scalabrini Community originally was for the Italian migrants and their descendants. The mission was extended to include migrants of all nationalities. It was a turning point and a re-birth for the Missionaries.
Between 1950 and 1960, most of the Italian parishes staffed by the Scalabrini missionaries across the United States became multi–cultural and multi–national.
At Holy Rosary parish, a Vietnamese priest lived at the parish rectory from 1981 to 1991. He provided all religious and pastoral services to the Vietnamese community. In June 1991, the diocese established a Vietnamese parish and the Vietnamese priest became the pastor of that new parish.
The religious services in Vietnamese were discontinued at Holy Rosary. But the Vietnamese people living in the neighborhood and surrounding areas who have been attending Holy Rosary still participate in our church services. Since the 2004 Advent season, the gospel is read in Vietnamese on weekend and weekday masses. The parish weekly bulletin has a section in Vietnamese. We celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of La Vang in August.
Blessed Giovanni Battista Scalabrini (John Baptist Scalabrini) (8 July 1839 – 1 June 1905) was ordained priest on 30 May 1863. He was made Bishop of Piacenza in Italy, on 28 November 1887 he founded the Congregation of the Missionaries of St. Charles now known as the Scalabrinian Fathers and Brothers.[ Its initial mission is to "maintain Catholic faith and practice among Italian emigrants in the New World." Today, they and their sister organizations, the Missionary Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo (founded by Scalabrini on 25 October 1895) and Secular Institute of the Scalabrinian Missionary Women (founded 25 July 1961) minister to migrants, seafarers, refugees and displaced persons.
Holy Rosary Parish has been staffed by the Scalabrinians since being founded in 1891. Bishop Scalabrini came to visit Holy Rosary in 1903. The displayed relic was given to us in May 2014 by the last Bishop Raymond Boland, DD.
Please enjoy past articles written about Holy Rosary
(as articles are found they will be reprinted here)
When the Sicilians migrated to Kansas City the family of Tony and Sara Molle,
the grandparents of Frank & Joann Molle brought a replica of the statue
of Our Lady of the Audience to Holy Rosary. They initiated the feast in our
parish which became an annual celebration with Mass, processions, festival and great joy.
OUR LADY OF THE AUDIENCE
The marble statue of Our Lady of the Audience,
attributed to A. Gaggini, was carried by the will of the people from the Tower
of Cellaro to Sambuca, Argrento, Sicily during the plague of
Pope Pius IX proclaimed Our Lady of the Audience as the Patron of Sambuca in the year 1847.
In 1902 Leo the XIII granted the
privilege of a special Mass and a proper office of honor of Our Lady of the
Archbishop Peruzzo of Agregento
declared the church a shrine and a parish.
OUR LADY OF THE AUDIENCE
The feast in honor of Our Lady of the Audience has been celebrated at Holy Rosary for over seventy years. At present the celebration is pretty humble compared to the feast in the town of Sambuca where it originated.
Who is Our Lady of
the Lady of the Audience?
According to tradition, in 1575 a
terrible plague threatened the lives of the people in the village of Sambuca,
Sicily. Medical science was unable to find a cure and people were dying daily.
People gave up hope in medical science and the whole town gathered in prayer
before the statue of Our Lady. The statue was in a church before the statue of
Our Lady of the Audience asking her to save their village; their prayers were
answered, the plague ended and the statue of Our Lady of the Audience was
brought in procession along the streets of the village with great devotion and
joy. It became an annual celebration. The feast was preceded by a novena of
prayers and on the day of the feast there was a solemn mass, procession with prayer and music through the streets of Sambuca and it concluded with a festival of food, music, games and fireworks with the participation of people from the neighboring towns.
When the Sicilians migrated to Kansas City the family of Tony and Sara Molle, the grandparents of Frank & Joann Molle brought a replica of the statue of Our Lady of the Audience to Holy Rosary. They initiated the feast in our parish which became an annual celebration with Mass, processions, festival and great joy.